Monday, August 2, 2010

Go Packers!

"The thing about birthday parties is that the first birthday party you have and the last birthday party you have are actually quite similar. You know, you just kinda sit there... you're the least excited person at the party. You don't even really realize that there is a party. You don't know what's goin' on. Both birthday parties, people have to kinda help you blow out the candles, you don't even know why you're doing it. It's also the only two birthday parties where other people have to gather your friends together for you. Sometimes they're not even your friends. They make the judgement. They bring 'em in, they sit 'em down, and they tell you - 'these are your friends!"

I have to hand it to Jerry Seinfeld, he nailed the first birthday party experience. We had about 25 people over to celebrate la cocotte's birthday but six of those people were other cocottes so it felt more like 50. La cocotte of course had no idea what was going on, I think her largest impression of the day was that there was suddenly a plethora of sippy cups from which to drink in colours far more exicting than her own.

We got very few gifts as people were under very strict instructions (in four different languages) NOT to bring anything as we are try to reduce, reduce, reduce at the moment given our impending trans-continental move. However one of hubby's colleagues originally from the midwest did send us an incredibly creative birthday present. What does one get a one year old cocotte who already has everything?



A cheesehead! As seen on TV!


Go PACKERS!


We will actually be attending a cheese festival in Wisconsin in September and I imagine this hat will figure prominently.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. I may actually be at the same festival! I will NOT be wearing a cheesehead...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthday parties are highly over-rated. So are presents. (My mum is right, my kids will have very non-enjoyable childhood...)
    My mom thinks that I dream about golden earings for my birthday while I dream about new running shoes. I am sure that she knows what I dream about but she stubbornly pretends that she does not know and she hopes that I will fall for those fancy earings and drop the running shoes idea:) It has been almost 26 years and never got those running shoes for birthday. Oh, well, at least my sis is happy because she gets fancy jewelry for my birthday:)
    Do they give out free cheese on that festival? I would love that. I would love to get cheese birthday cake. How awesome would that be?

    ReplyDelete